Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Comments

Hello again, it's Ruth the kiwi. Thanks for replying to my comment! I find that I'm much better with the theory stuff as a student and I an study and ask questions when I need help- so far I've sat and passed Flight Radio, Human Factors and Air Law, and would be up to Met(Weather to Fly)if I was continuing. My main problem is that I'm not your typical student - I'm 51 and female LOL! And I have never had any prior involvement with aviation. I love flying although I lack in confidence in my practical abilities. I'm really interested too, to read things from an instructors side. So, I hope you don't mind if I continue to comment and I can also tell you about some of my lessons if you would like me to.

Ruth


Ruth, I'm glad to know this can help, and please feel free to continue commenting. I started this whole thing in order to give a little insight into the instructor's viewpoint. So if it helps, that makes me happy.

I don't know the demographics of flight students elsewhere, but I have had a wide variety of students myself. Ages from 11 to 75. I have a current student who is a 48 year old female.

As for confidence, there are two factors that will help you there: knowledge and experience. I remember when I was a student, and had to fly into a control-tower environment solo for the first time. I knew I might get confused, so before the flight I actually wrote out a script of everything I expected to happen, and what to say. I stumbled at times, but eventually I got better. That is the nature of the learning process.

For experience, there is nothing quite so useful as getting out of your comfort zone, and into new situations, in a relatively controlled environment. This is why I am strongly in favor of visiting new places as often as possible. The student that I am taking on this long flight today realizes that. Every new airport we visit gives him something more to draw on for future flights. Every uncommon procedure or different traffic pattern helps just a little bit.

You will notice a few differences in terminology, and probably a few different types of procedures when comparing aviation in the U.S. to New Zealand. If something I say is confusing, please ask me to clarify. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

-aka

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home