Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Delays, delays, nothing but delays

Update on the flight review. The annual inspection for the guy's plane is not finished. That means we get delayed a second time. I guess that gives me the whole morning free now.

So instead, I'll show a couple photos taken from trips Rich and I have made. Our two biggest trips to date, were: a flight from Virginia to Oshkosh, Wisconsin, for the Experimental Aircraft Association's annual fly-in and airshow. Along the way, we had the chance to fly into the now-closed Meigs Field and see the Chicago skyline. The other, was a long-haul trip out west where we visited the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and many other beautiful places.

The first three photos show several different locales in Arizona, including one small airport along the Mexican border where we pitched tents and camped for a night.

The other two photos were taken while flying over the edge of Lake Michigan, preparing to land at Meigs Field. We felt fortunate to have flown into that airport before it was suddenly closed. Almost akin to seeing First Flight in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, we had a sense of history there.

There's nothing quite like a long journey to teach you things you can't learn at home. Along the way, we learned volumes about the effects of high density altitude, hypoxia, weather, etc. I knew all of these things from books, and even had some experience with the higher elevations in the east, (for example, Hot Springs, VA), but first-hand experience in the west taught me much more.

I had plenty of mountain-flying experience before, since my home airport is nestled right in the Appalachian mountains, but those are small and low in comparison to what they have in the west. I have often had to evaluate flying over water, beyond gliding range of land. But Lake Michigan is gargantuan in comparison to any other body of water back home.

To any pilot who has the chance, I highly recommend leaving your comfort zone, and embarking on flying that will teach you more than a book ever will. Study is vastly important, but when you experience these things for yourself, you gain a whole new perspective.

Anyway, for now I will sign off, and go find some paperwork to do, while waiting for my next student to show up.

Maybe I'll get to fly that C182 later in the week.

1 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Experimental Aircraft Association" would be a great name for a band. -esm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home