Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Goodbye to Old Friends

It is always sad saying goodbye.

This morning, I discovered, much to my chagrin, that the construction around the hangars had already started. Not good. I thought it would be a couple days. I was supposed to pull the DA40 out before that, or I would lose access to it for two weeks while they dug up and replaced the asphalt. I was really irritated, because that would mean missing out on seven hours of flying tomorrow (which has since been cancelled anyway).

After talking to one of the security guys, I managed to get help moving the plane. The surface had already been torn up, leaving the hangar on a ledge, with a 10 inch drop-off to the rough-surfaced mix of mud and torn-up asphalt beneath. So the first thing we had to do was build two small ramps to let the plane down easy. After that, we spent 15 minutes towing the plane through the muddy mess to a spot on the other pavement.

After that was all over, I was sweaty and dirty. And my shoes were all torn up. These shoes have served me well over the last few years. Just simple loafers- the $9 Walmart variety. Over the last few weeks though, the right shoe had become worn to the point that my foot was partly touching pavement when I walked. So I knew it was about time to replace them.

Halfway through moving the plane, the insole had worked itself through the open sole, and ripped the whole shoe open. It was just a shred of its former self, and no longer very useful for its normal purpose of keeping my feet protected from the ground.

So with an air of sadness, I placed them in the trash, and grabbed some spare shoes that I thankfully had in the trunk of my car. So, goodbye to old friends. I mean old shoes. I really got my nine dollars worth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home