Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Scratch Georgia

I did manage to get a flight in today. This mornings constant rain suggested otherwise, but I finally got one. One of the students from next door wanted to get checked out in the Eclipse. Not really a big deal. He is a commercial pilot, working on the instructor rating, and was desperate for something different. I understand perfectly. It is easy to get bored from flying the same plane all the time. Especially if it is 40 years old, has equally old avionics, and flies way too slow.

DC came in, so I could help him with the NTSB report. We were both sent a bunch of pages of data to fill out. What a mess. He decided he doesn't want the Alarus, so there is no point flying to Georgia tomorrow. He has decided to go with my advice of flying half a dozen different types of planes, and then see what he likes. Scott gave him the option of purchasing one of the Diamond Eclipses from us, and leaving it with the school. That would give him access to the plane any time he wants, and defray some of the expenses. But DC doesn't care much about expenses.

When I was in Florida, I found the aircraft I really want. A Diamond motorglider. Of course, I can't afford it, and travel in that would be impractical at best. But whoever thinks general aviation is about practicality, soon learns better after getting involved. It is never about the cost. You just find what you want, and talk yourself into believing it is practical.

So Georgia is off tomorrow, but we are looking to go to Indiana this weekend, to check out a different manufacturer. Hopefully that one will work out.

2 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Tim @ General Aviation News said...

Your post really got me thinking about why I fly. You're right... it isn't at all practical in most instances. But then again I never take the shortest line between two points... it just isn't fun that way!

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger adr said...

Tire elves. Best not to ask too many questions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home