Thursday, September 01, 2005

Terminology

That vacation was a much-needed break. Yesterday, I got my reintroduction to work by doing ground instruction with Mrs. Clueless. I knew it was going to be interesting.

Over the course of several instructors, she has been allowed to be lazy about the knowledge. Knowing that, I tried to push her to study before I really held her to any knowledge beyond what was necessary for whatever point we were at. Now, with no more flight requirements remaining, she's way behind. The former owner of the other school is still around, and doing some work with her, and he endorsed her cross-country flight last week.

I do want to see her finish, but not that way. There's so much left that she needs. My purpose yesterday was to go through most of the topics for the oral exam, and show her how much there is to study.

One thing that strikes me as similar between her and Mr. Confusion, is that despite my explaining the need, neither of them has placed much value on terminology. It sounds petty, but terminology forms the basis from which we can communicate.

And we are not talking the same language. We can't talk aerodynamics properly if she doesn't know what I mean when I say "angle of attack." Likewise, we can't talk about cross-country planning if she doesn't know about indicated, calibrated, true and ground speeds. We had been through all these things before, but she obviously didn't place any value on them.

So we have a long way to go. I don't know if I even see any value in flying with her at this point. No sense wasting time on the maneuvers if she doesn't have the basal knowledge needed.

1 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Blogger brewsmith said...

Airspeeds, I wonder if there is a glossary somewhere that describes the differences and uses of the different aviation terms. . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home