Monday, February 20, 2006

Quick statistics, and the latest news

I added up the distances flown finally. Straight-line distance between airports where we landed was 7,337 nautical miles (8,438 statute miles). We flew 101.9 hours. Add in some deviations, a couple airports where we overflew but didn't land, various non-straight-line routes for mountains and such, and I figure we covered just about 8,000 nautical miles (9,200 statute miles). Just a rough estimate though.

The 101.9 hours includes time spend taxiing, so adding all that up, gives an average groundspeed of 78.5 knots (90.3 miles per hour).

DC is going to get me a disk with our photos on it, so I can post those soon.

Most of my time this past week has been occupied by searching for work. I've generally needed time to evaluate situations, and our trip was good for that. No preoccupation with the actual details of instructing. That gave me the chance to really evaluate my situation. I do enjoy instructing, but I need to get away from it for now. At most, it should be only a part-time endeavor for me for a while.

So when I got back, I started sending out my resume. I don't want to be stuck in some airline job. I'm looking for charter work, or maybe some other operation that is at least a little bit different every day. I have no desire to fly to the same 5 airports every day, over and over, week after week. I need some variety.

In my mind, this week was the most critical, because I was focused on going through my local connections. Having a contact is much better than a cold-call resume, sent over email. The first job I was shooting for was flying parachute jumpers, and I had good contacts there, but I had to send my resume out during the trip west. By the time I got it done, thtey had already hired for the position. So at best, I am a backup, just in case that pilot leaves.

The other one that is most hopeful is nearby, at Bridgewater Airpark, just a few miles north of here. One of my former students knows the flight operations manager very well, and I met the guy a couple months ago. I got that resume in last week, but hadn't heard anything. I spoke to my student yesterday, and he said the guy had just been swamped, but is looking to hire for the position I mentioned in my email. Hopefully I will hear something from that. It won't pay very much, at least unless I move into a captain position. But it would be in a Beech King Air, probably the C90. And it seems to fit what I want. I would be gone across the country for three weeks at a time, and then have time here, to instruct on the side.

I sent out other resumes also, including one as far away as Grand Junction, Colorado. If nothing else, our trip west reminded me that maybe I should spend some time out west, and enjoy different scenery. I don't expect to get a reply from that one, or many others, without a contact at those companies. If this job comes through, then I can do better at selecting a future job, a year or two down the line.

4 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger adr said...

Well if you do take a job out west, E'beth and I may be able to visit during our planned road trip to Wyoming this summer.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger also-known-as said...

You're going to Wyoming this summer? Neat. I wishs we could have spent some real time there. Going to Yellowstone, jackson Hole, that area, or what?

BTW, I'm swinging into town this weekend, want to meet up for dinner or something, maybe?

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger adr said...

The plan is a road trip in late summer by which time I will have hopefully sold the house and gotten moved.

It'd be fun to get together. Other than Bill's birthday party (Saturday night - are you going?) my schedule's open. Give me a call when you get in town.

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Gina said...

Andrea, if you do go to Jackson Hole, we must speak! One of my favorite books to read with my fourth graders is Stone Fox ... takes place in Jackson Hole. (if I remember correctly ... it's true what they say, the mind really is the first thing to go ... along with firmness and flexibility and original hair color ... lol)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home