Thursday, April 27, 2006

Sometimes you just have to find humor wherever it shows up.

Mike and I made it back home from Toronto late last night. I drove home and got about 6 hours of sleep before having to get back up and drive in. During the course of the morning I decided I was inescapably klutzy. I managed to slice open my thumb with a razor blade.

But with only minimal injuries, we managed to get the plane ready, and fly out in the early afternoon. Three and a half hours later, we were shutting down in Panama City, Florida.

That flight was a bit boring though. There's only just so much you can do, when the autopilot is doing its job, and air traffic controllers don't do anything to complicate the flight.

So I found myself staring out the windows, and got to thinking about a lesser-known Monty Python sketch. It isn't technically Python, but actually John Cleese's "How to Irritate People" video. It begins with two pilots sitting in the cockpit of an airliner, bored to tears. One of them starts the "I spy with my little eye..." game. Of course, up there, they don't have many options. Cloud. Sky. etc.

Anyway, I got to thinking that way myself. Not an amazingly humorous story. Sorry about that. But sometimes you have to take what you get. On the plus side, often the exciting flights are exciting for all the wrong reasons.

At the least, I'm sitting in a hotel room in Florida, and waiting until morning, when I get to fly offshore for several hours. And there is a possibility that on this segment of the trip, we may end up going to the Bahamas. Never been there before.

We met up with the two client reps who are staying in the same hotel (as will usually be the case). We all went out and found a good seafood dinner. Tomorrow we fly two offshore assignments, then we spend the night, and fly to another location the next morning.

It took me several hours after arriving to realize we were now on Central time. That gives me a precious extra hour to get a little sleep.

3 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger Gina said...

I'm not sure I'd personally classify this as humor, but it is definitely ironic. (you may finding it amusing) After harrassing you about not having running water, I found myself wishing that were the case here as I waded through the standing water in my living room and bathrooms from the air conditioner flood that started at 5 this morning. Such is life.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger adr said...

Since you're going to be on the road, I think you should become a hotel and restaurant critic as well as doing this pilot job. I'm sure you'd bring a very unique perspective to evaluating hotels and dining establishments.

Question - when did the midwest start planting crops in circular patterns? I noticed this on my flight to/from Portland. Have you noticed this?

 
At 2:31 AM, Blogger Mario2011 said...

Guys if you want to buy a aircraft simulation game for your pc! please click on the link http://f5940hcnodgmar8h4gubk1lp19.hop.clickbank.net/

Real-Life Flying with Accurate WorldWide Scenery Based On Actual Terrain With Over 20,000 of the World's Real Airports & 120+ Different Planes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home